Monday, September 23, 2013

Oh No! Not Another Kaya Toast Review! (Tea Loft in Singapore)



NOTE: Yes folks, I know what you're thinking.  It's another kaya toast review!  Please forgive my enthusiasm and bear with me for one more post about this heavenly Singaporean snack.   

P.S. I, however, cannot promise to not write about them again in the future.  J

I think one the dishes I miss the most in Singapore is kaya toast, a simple meal of toasted bread served with a sweet kaya (coconut jam) filling and thick slices of soft butter.  Add 2 soft-boiled eggs seasoned with thick, molasses-like soy sauce and a cup of tarik (pulled) coffee with condensed milk, and you’ve got yourself one highly satisfying breakfast (or merienda -- afternoon snack, if you wish).

Considering this kaya toast is almost synonymous to Singapore as Hainanese chicken rice, it’s no wonder that almost every hawker center and general food establishment has their own version.  Sadly, not all of them can deliver the goods.

In the quest of satisfying my kaya toast cravings, I’ve dragged my little family to tons of eating establishments that sell this highly addictive meal.  We’ve dined at really good ones (see my posts about Ya Kun Kaya and Wang Café); and we’ve also had disappointing versions, too (you won’t read them here though since I choose to remain more positive.  Hehehe!)

One of the good ones comes from this corner shop, tucked beside the Food Hall at the ION Orchard mall.

Tea Loft at the ION Orchard mall


Tea Loft is an all-day dining establishment that offers a variety of sweet and savory English and Southeastern Asian dishes.  A venture owned by the BreakTalk group, which coincidentally is also the same company that owns Toast Box (another popular place selling kaya toast), hence would most probably explain why the Tea Loft makes a really mean kaya toast, too.

Traditional kaya toast set

A Traditional Kaya Toast Set, with the usual accompaniments, sells for S$5.00 (Php165.00*) here.  I don't know about the others, but I usually enjoy my kaya toasts dipped in the soft-boiled egg with a little soy sauce.  Yum!

Tea Loft also offers these thick toasts, almost similar to those being sold at Korean coffee shops.  One variation worth trying is their Cream Cheese Toast (S$2.20 / Php72.60* ala carte).

Cream Cheese Toast

 Also goes great with some tarik coffee.

I don’t mind waking up real early if it means I get to enjoy breakfast meals like this everyday.  Now if I could only convince my Husband and the Little One of this idea, as well.  J

*S$1 = Php33

***

Tea Loft (Toast Box)

ION Orchard Turn #B4-03D

Singapore 238801

T      (+65) 6509 9278

Please visit the Toast Box website (click here for the site) for more information on menu items and branch locations.

Planning to visit?  Drop by my "Getting Around Singapore" post (click here) for more details on how to get around the Lion City.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

SG | An Aerial View of Sentosa Island

Sentosa is a well-known island resort in Singapore. They're quite famous for their expensive luxury landed properties, exquisite hotel...