Friday, November 1, 2013

November is National Reading Month in the Philippines (And The Reasons Why I Love to Read)

November is National Reading Month here in the Philippines; and in order to commemorate this great and enjoyable past time, I've decided to showcase book reviews and other related items the whole month.

So get ready, folks, as I share with you some of the wonderful tomes I've had the pleasure reading throughout the years.

The Little One enjoying her book at the Bedok Public Library, Singapore

As we are celebrating National Reading Month, I think it would be only fitting to state my reasons why I am an avid reader.  I know you're all more or less aware of the benefits (most especially for the scholastic / academic side); but since I've never claimed to be anything but a reader who devours books purely for the pleasure of it (so yes, I am not a huge fan of the classics, except one.  Sorry), I will tell you my top 3 reasons why this wonderful hobby of mine has brought so much enjoyment to my life.

1. I travel to different places without breaking the bank.


Books bring you to wonderful worlds full of adventure and intrigue.  I like to travel; but, to be honest, my taste for it is limited only to more comfortable locations (I highly doubt I'll be traveling to Africa or any other similar location soon). That being said, I am the type to save up for a trip even if it means traveling only twice a year.  Backpacking is also not my thing.

But with books, I get to visit exotic places without leaving the comfort of my room, and all for the price of a brand new paperback (less if bought at Booksale).  It's inexpensive and definitely quenches my thirst for travel (at least while saving up for the real thing). 

2. I get to try on different hats.

A truly engaging tale is one where you can almost feel yourself a part of the story.  You laugh with the main protagonist.  You cry when she feels sad.  And you get angry at those who fight unfairly.

Aside from that you're immersed in a profession / a life entirely unlike your own -- become (temporarily) a world-famous scientist on the verge of a cure for the world's ills, or simply a Victorian-era lady in the quest for true love (did I ever tell you guys I'm obsessed with the Regency period because of Jane Austen's Pride & PrejudiceJ)

Pride & Prejudice (SOURCE: Focus Features website)
The possibilities are endless.

3. They tell us of days gone by. 

I'll let you in on a secret.  As a child I would sometimes be bombarded with questions by friends regarding what type of fantastical powers I would like to have if I were a superhero or a mutant.  I'd say I'd want to experience what it feels like to fly (I'm so corny); but in my heart, I always new I wanted to be able to travel back and forth in time, observing the world and its people as they go about their daily lives.

Imagine, seeing your home evolve from a natural jungle to concrete wilderness it is at present.  Silently observing people of the past going about their daily lives.  And with books, it's the closest thing I can get to enjoying that type of power.

***

So, folks.  Now that that's done, let the reading (and reviews) commence!  J

No comments:

Post a Comment

SG | An Aerial View of Sentosa Island

Sentosa is a well-known island resort in Singapore. They're quite famous for their expensive luxury landed properties, exquisite hotel...