Skip to main content

Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia by Elizabeth Gilbert

When a former office mate, who's also a voracious book reader, first told me about Elizabeth Gilbert's Eat, Pray, Love; I was a little skeptical.  The story didn't appeal to me and it sounded like one of those new age, self-help books; the "it" title of the moment as it was.

But on one particular trip to the Bras Basah Complex, the mecca of all second-hand book complexes here in Singapore, I found myself needing one more title to avail of a special 3 for S$10 bargain.  Having no other choice, I settle on Eat, Pray, Love.  But it's a good thing I did, too, 'cause I take back all the inane misgivings I've had about this novel.  Guess you really can't judge a book by its cover (even if it is Julia Roberts and I don't like her much too).  J

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert



Elizabeth Gilbert, like all of us at one point or another, finds herself questioning her life's purpose.  In her early 30s, it would seem she has a very enviable life -- a loving husband and a successful career.  But she just doesn't feel complete; and so with much trepidation, she leaves everything behind and goes on life-changing, soul-seeking trips to Italy, India and Bali.

It's funny how life throws unexpected curves and we are left feeling alone and confused.  It takes a really brave woman to have left her seemingly full life to finally understand herself.  There were a lot of painful sacrifices she had to take, the most severe in my opinion of which was her inevitable divorce with her husband.  There are instances that Elizabeth was selfish; but who am I to judge another person of their behaviors and mistakes. 

Eat, Pray, Love is a good book about reflection, full of memorable quotes and sayings.  I do, however, highly doubt if I'd be purchasing the follow-up novel.

Comments

  1. One of the books I haven't got a copy. Will get one next year. :P


    http://www.dekaphobe.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read Eat, Pray, Love and I really liked it. I felt envious of her, having all the money to spend just to go soul searching :)

    My fave phase is Eat and Love, how about you? :)


    Happy New Year btw! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! Too many to mention. Daming quotable quotes. Heheheh! In fact, I think this is the very first book that used a highlighter on. I try to avoid it kasi since I don't like writing on my books but there's just so many nice, inspirational lines that I really wanted to keep track of already. =)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PH | Bang's Tony & Jackey Beauty Salon's Aqua Volume Rebond

I've always had ruly, unmanageable hair for as long as I can remember, hence the introduction of rebonding services here in PH is a blessing.  I've been having my hair rebonded or relaxed once a year since 2002.  It's an expense that I make sure is always included in the yearly luxury budget.

Whereas before I used to have my hair rebonded at a David's Salon (since they always deliver consistently great results), I had to stop and look to other establishments when they eventually jacked up their prices (what used to cost me Php3,000 is now priced at Php5,000 to Php6,000, depending on the branch!).  Too much for my already hurting wallet.  Hence, the need to try other salons.  I've been happy with the results, so far.

The one thing though. that always gets me though is how lifeless and limp my hair tends to look when newly treated.  It's always the case wherever I have my tresses done.  It will look it's best at least a month or 2 after treatment.  It was onl…

Style for Less: Ballerina Flats (Tory Burch vs Kamiseta)

Have you ever noticed how fashionable high-end items just keep on being reinvented by some other brand.  Well after having my eyes checked for fear of seeing doubles (normal daw sabi ni Doc), I decided to scour through the malls in search of fashion doppelgangers.

***
THE SPLURGE: Tory Burch's Reva ballerina flats (USD195 or around Php9,000)

When well-known American fashion designer Tory Burch released her line of Reva ballerina flats, it was an instant hit.  Known for its incredibly comfortable material and structure with a nicely padded sole and an elasticized heel, these babies made a killing and everyone wanted one. 

How to Apply for a Philippine Postal ID Card

I've said it once and I'll say it again, woe to the newly married woman who has, for years, have gotten so used to her surname only to find that a single (wedding) day, will change this familiarity forever.

I have to admit, it was not easy for me to adapt to a new surname, due mainly for professional reasons.  Throughout my profession career, I have been known by my maiden name and to have to inform all my contacts of the change was, well, too tiresome.  And so I decided to go the hypenated route and I eventually ended up with 2 surnames.  Such was the compromise!  =)