Thursday, February 23, 2012

Feature Writing Advice from Writer's Block Philippines

I've always had this secret fantasy of seeing my work -- whether photo or penned article -- featured in a publication.  I guess, in a way, it's the yearning of wanting to be remembered, something to give to the Little One so she may better understand who I was and what happened to have shaped me as who she will know as "mom" in the future.

I have to admit.  Writing never came easy for me, especially when I find myself not "in the mood" for it.  But this hasn't stopped me from dreaming.  So when Writer's Block Philippines offered version 3.0 of their Feature Writing 101 workshop, I just knew this could provide me with the drive I need to finally become a  more serious wordsmith.

Writer's Block Philippines' Feature Writing 101 (version 3.0)

Presented by the gorgeous ladies of Writer's Block Philippines (Ana SantosNikka Sarthou and Niňa Terol-Zialcita), their Feature Writing 101 workshops aims to improve your writing style and how to overcome the usual obstacles faced by writers.

Ana Santos

Who knew there was more to a great Feature article than witty phrases and grammatically correct sentences?  In this workshop, you get to learn the basics -- from creating an engaging lead to conducting proper research for your piece to developing interesting angles, among other things.

Nikka Sarthou

Participants were always encouraged to join in the discussions and ask questions, something that I really loved since I'm such an inquisitive individual.

Niňa Terol-Zialcita

This being a workshop, the latter part is reserved for starting your own written masterpieces and applying the skills learned during the sessions.  Critiques to follow.

Group critique

I left the workshop with a full mind and determination to jumpstart my dream of having my work published.  Wish me luck!  J

***

To learn more about Writer's Block Philippines and the workshops they offer, please visit their site at www.writersblockphilippines.com.

7 comments:

  1. Good luck! :) It's easy once you get into the groove of it. I used to write feature articles in Bangkok, but the pay here for that kinda thing isn't great. :(

    http://wonderwomanrises.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post! I too feel the same way! Anyways, I stumbled upon your blog and thought "how interesting!" so I decided to follow along which I hope you don't mind. Please feel free to stop by my blog some time and do the same!

    Again, great blog! Thanks for sharing!

    XoXo,
    Jen
    cupofsimplici-tea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so nice! :) I love writing too and have a little background in feature writing. Wish I can join one of the lectures in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! I'm still trying to get up enough nerve. Hehehe! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is a great seminar for those who want to be a writer. one of the best is maria ressa, you can get inspiration from here http://thenewmedia.com/interview-with-maria-ressa-ceo-of-rappler-com/

    ReplyDelete

SG | An Aerial View of Sentosa Island

Sentosa is a well-known island resort in Singapore. They're quite famous for their expensive luxury landed properties, exquisite hotel...