Friday, April 8, 2016

Zen Pencils by Gavin Aung Than

2015 found me sorely ignoring my bibliophilistic tendencies.  I've experienced dry months before, where I find myself not wanting to pick up a book, but 3 months is usually my max.  A year?  Unheard of.  Until 2015, that is.

What I did find myself craving for is a return to simpler times.  Admittedly, the big move (again) to Singapore drained me -- both physically and emotionally.  Missing family, taking care of my own little brood, and adjusting to everyday life (including work) in another country took a toll on me.

I find that one of the ways I could cope was to start doing things I enjoyed doing when I was younger.  And nothing more exemplified my childhood than hours spent with a good stack of Archie and Harvey comics (which I have my one of my titos, who was an avid collector, to thank for).  And so, that was where I reverted back to. 

Waiting for someone?  Read a comic.  In the MRT on the way to work?  Run through a few pages before my stop.  Archie and Harvey comics are an easy read, requires no heavy mental effort to appreciate, and was always a surefire way to perk me up (even until now that I am in my 30s).

But man does not live on these comics alone.  And eventually I did have moments when my favorite comic characters were not able to lighten my mood.  So on one particularly bored night, I came across a review about Zen Pencils.

Zen Pencils by Gavin Aung Than (SOURCE: http://zenpencils.com/)

Zen Pencils started as a website showcasing the works of cartoonist Gavin Aung Than, a graphic artist who quit his corporate job to follow his passion of drawing cartoons/comics.

Now Zen Pencil cartoons are quite different from others in the genre.  These are cartoons that adapt inspirational quotes into comic formats.

For now, it further satisfies my bibiliophilistic needs because (1) it picks me up and makes me feel instantly better, and (2) they're hugely satisfying and inspirational reads that let's me think.

I highly recommend this book, most especially when you find yourself in a bind.  In addition, you can also head on over to the site, www.zenpencils.com, to get your daily dose of inspiration.

***

Zen Pencils
W     http://zenpencils.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

SG | An Aerial View of Sentosa Island

Sentosa is a well-known island resort in Singapore. They're quite famous for their expensive luxury landed properties, exquisite hotel...