Friday, May 31, 2013

Takopachi: Japanese Takoyaki in Singapore

Takoyaki, or more simply known as octopus balls, are savory wheat dough balls originating from Osaka, Japan.  A special treat when we were younger, these small, fried spheres were a constant merienda (afternoon snack) staple whenever we found ourselves in Harrison Plaza (please note that this was during the 1980s and 90s when it still housed the very old Rustan's supermarket) where a Sumarai stall was located.

But we're no longer in the Philippines.  And here in Singapore, one of the best stalls that serve this scrumptious treat is Takopachi.

Takopachi


Now the takoyaki of my childhood was a simple enough affair -- dough with an octopus filling, topped with a special red sauce and powered aonori.  Best eaten hot off the grill. 

Fast forward to 2008; my first visit to the ex-BF (now Husband) in Singapore.  Having realized that a love of takoyaki was something of an acquired taste (moment of which I remember vividly as a college classmate threw up a perfectly good ball after having persuaded her to try one), I was actually quite surprised when the ex-BF asked if I wanted to try one.

I was quite the happy camper until he placed these 3 fried balls that, aside from the usual toppings I was used to, also included a generous sprinkling of bonito (mackerel) flakes and mayonnaise.  Suffice to say, I was the one who initially felt like throwing up that time.

But as the years passed and I was given more opportunities to try them out again (more than once, I may add), I now find my takoyaki is simply too bland without the bonito flakes and mayonnaise.  Change of heart, I guess.

And Takopachi, has this recipe down to a tee.

Takopachi stall at Takashimaya, Singapore

A serving of 3 octopus-filled takoyaki balls costs S$2.50 (Php82.50*).  They're also slightly bigger than the one Samurai sells.

3 balls of deliciousness

Now aside from the regular octopus, Takopachi also offers prawn and bacon & cheese-filled balls.  Mixing flavors in a serving is allowed.  But if you ask me, I'm still sticking to the original.  I'm simply a creature of habit.  J

*S$1 = Php33

***



Takopachi (Japanese Octopus Balls)
391 Orchard Road
#B2-07-8-3 Takashimaya Shopping Centre
Singapore 238873 


Please visit the Takopachi website (click here for the site) for more information on menu items and branch locations.

Planning to visit?  Drop by my "Getting Around Singapore" post (click here) for more details on how to get around the Lion City.

4 comments:

  1. Now I'm craving for takoyaki! argh!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a chain of takoyaki stands here in the philippines but they're
    not as good as the one in old rustans at hp. I can still have the old one (samurai balls I call them) at sm hypermart buendia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I know what you're talking about. There are lots more of them than when before when it was only Samurai lang yata who mass produced takoyaki to the public. Most of the new stalls I've tried aren't really any good too. =(

      Delete
  3. I love love takoyaki! And you just made me crave for it haha.

    ReplyDelete

SG | An Aerial View of Sentosa Island

Sentosa is a well-known island resort in Singapore. They're quite famous for their expensive luxury landed properties, exquisite hotel...